Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Neato Keane

What's that Ariel sketch all about you ask? Oh nothing, just a little something that GLEN KEANE drew for me when he was visiting TDS a couple of weeks ago! That's right, the one and only GK.
He is such an amazing guy...very humble and gracious. Glen is a true gentleman and an inspiring story teller in conversation as well as with a pencil. He gave us some awesome insights to what it was like to work with several of the Nine Old Men. For instance, he told us that Ollie Johnson once told him not to animate what the character is doing, but to animate what the character is thinking.

When he came by, the sketches below were hanging in my cubicle. I did them a couple of years ago while sitting in Jury Duty. He told me he really liked them and said they reminded him of Ariel. As I recall, I actually did have her in mind, but I was just trying to draw a contemporary young girl with no reference in front of me at the time.
He spent a couple of hours with us creative types at TDS and was very generous in doing unbelievable drawings for us of several of his creations such as Ariel, Tarzan and Beast.
I informed him that besides both being incredibly handsome brutes, we have something else in common...we both have the same gardener! Salustrio has been doing both of our yards for 15 years...I think Glen's yard may be a little bigger than mine....just a guess.