Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Disney Store 25th Anniversary Illustration


I was so honored to contribute to the Disney Stores 25th Anniversary Celebration by doing this illustration that is in the store right now. It was used on several items including a limited edition lithograph (2500 of course).
When conceiving this, I was inspired by some beautiful, somewhat wonky vintage Disney Greeting Cards like this one:

Most of all, I wanted to do something that captured a nice representation of Walt Disney's characters in an energetic and joyous way, in a neutral environment that allowed all of these wonderful characters to co-exist if only for a moment. The "magic cyclone" in the middle seemed like a good focal point to bring everybody together representing the unifying essence of Disney. This was such a fun project! I just got back from my local store where I bought a few items to store away for posterity. 
If you're wondering if I still get a thrill when I walk into a Disney Store less than 2 miles from where I grew up and see my art on product and signage all over the place...the answer is yes....yes I do.

By the way, the image above varies a little bit from the version that went into production...see if you can spot the difference.